Working together to prevent Suicide
Date: 10th September 2019
World Suicide Prevention Day is an awareness day observed on 10 September every year, around the world in order to provide worldwide commitment and action to prevent suicides, with various activities since 2003.
In Nepal as well, the day was marked successfully and celebrated in the leadership of the Epidemiology and Disease Control Division (EDCD), Department of Health Services, Teku, Kathmandu in Kathmandu. CMC-Nepal actively participated in the rally from Bhadrakali to Kathmandu on 10th September 2019 . The leaflets were distributed for raising awareness in suicide prevention. Also, on 9th September 2019, CMC-Nepal participated in the talk program organised by EDCD. An interaction program was organised on that day with the media personnel on suicide prevention.
Likewise, in the working districts of CMC-Nepal, this day was marked effectively:
- In Surkhet:
- In Lekbesi Municipality, interaction meeting with stakeholders were conducted where 30 major stakeholders (Mayer, Vice-Mayer, Chief Administration Officer, Coordinators and Deputy Coordinator of Health/Education/Child and Women, Ward president) participated. In the meeting, strategies for suicidal prevention in coming days were also highlighted and also leaflets were distributed. Likewise, in Chingad Rural Municipality, an interaction meeting was held where 20 major stakeholders were participated.
- In Jajarkot:
- In Nalgad Municipality, the day was marked by organizing awareness raising program in school where 150 students and 15 teachers participated and also, leaflet and pamphlet were distributed.
- In Ministry of Social Development, Karnali Province, Ministry of Social Development, Health Division had signed a contract with local FM for airing suicidal prevention program on regular basis.
- In Dadeldhura (exit district), Health Coordinator conducted suicidal prevention program in school in chair of Mayor where about 100 students and 8 teachers from grade 9 and 10 participated actively.
- In Udayapur:
- In Belaka Municipality, rally was organised with municipality elected members, officials, FCHVs and students where around 120 people participated and the rally ended with interaction program in the mid bazar.
- In Chaudandigadhi municipality, interaction program was conducted by Community Psychosocial Workers (CPSWs) of ward no 5 & 6 with the support of CPSW coordinator where 29 community people including ward chairperson and members participated.
- In Triyuga municipality, as awareness raising program in Shree Janata Madhyamik Vidhyalaya, Ward no. 5 was organised by CPSWs, CPSW coordinator and CMC staff for class 8, 9 and 10 and around 120 students attended.
- In Katari municipality, CPSWs, CPSW coordinator organised interaction program where 22 Members from municipality, FCHVs, community people & CPSWs participated.
- Siraha and Saptari:
- As awareness raising program was organised in Harwa- Charwa community and schools where around 400 people participated in Lahan Municipality, Siraha, Kanchanroop Municipality & Rupani Municipality of Saptari district. Also, a street drama was performed in Rupani Municipality even though it was not a working district of CMC-Nepal and a good place for raising awareness.